This is the definition of health that guides the practice of Ayurveda. This sloka or Sanskrit verse from the Ayurvedic text Susruta Samhita Sutrasthana states that health arises from:
- A balanced relationship of the doshas or energies within the body (mobility, heat, and stability)
- Proper Agni which is high functioning digestion
- Proper functioning of the bodily tissues
- And the proper excretion of waste.
- Yet, more important even than these indicators of the health of the body is the health of the mind – peaceful and contented.
Samadosha, samagnischa samadhatumala kriyaha prasanna atmenindriya manaha swasthya ityabhidheeyate. – Acharya Susruta
Ayurveda has specialized in the health model for thousands of years, starting with practices which improve the mental state, foods and spices which encourage proper digestion, teaching about the nature and balance of the doshas (including optimal body temperature), eating to optimal digestion, observing and using lifestyle, self-care, and medicinal substances (dravya) to address proper functioning systems (including cardiac, respiratory, digestive, excretory, urinary, skin, endocrine, lymphatic, nervous, and reproductive systems) and proper functioning of the bodily tissues (blood, muscle, fat, nerves and nerve endings, bone, and reproductive tissues).
Have a diagnosis? We work with your specialists and medical doctors. And then we help you advance beyond the the reversal of disease to the optimize your health – empowering you to embody vitality, energy, and enthusiasm for life while reversing the root cause of disease.
This is holistic, whole person care with Roots of Wellness.